I have a confession to make ! You know how some people love shiny new toys? the new car? the smell of new books? I have a few of these quirks ( .. which shall presently go unnamed ) and plenty more that can be quite baffling like mild obsession over sparkling wine glasses and beautiful crockery, Wolf range shiny new stove… But there is this particular lust factor, If I may call it , towards the King of the fruits that I find it particularly hard to overcome. Yessir, so when I spotted a box of ripe mangos, waiting.. just waiting to be picked up…It was the proverbial siren song for me as I drifted towards the box to pick it up. I knew , just knew,what they were going to transform into.. Mango Ice cream..I love it, the kids love it, my family loves it, neighbors love it, neighborhood and extended family love it , you get he picture I am sure .and I am in love with it .. Sigh!!
To make this particularly delectable and to die for creamy ice cream , Please note…
YOU DO NOT NEED AN ICE CREAM MAKER..YES ..NO ICE CREAM MAKER .. JUST 15 MIN OF YOUR PRECIOUS TIME 🙂
The goodies to be transformed :
- 6 -8 large,ripe mangos- deseeded, skinned and pulped. should yield about 2-2.25 cups
- Condensed milk – fat free ( – 14 oz – one tin) Hey ! I need the sugar, not the fat. I used the Eagle variety. I am not a brand aficionado. So pick what works for you )
- Whipped cream or cool whip – 2 tubs ( 8 oz each = 16 oz ) or for the extra creamy version add one more (use 3 tubs to make it 24 oz). I used the cool whip lite in this case.
- Saffron – a pinch soaked in warm milk for about 5 min. ( optional)
- Elaichi or Cardamom powder – 1 tsp( Optional )
- 1 large mango – skinned and cut into cubes ( this is optional)
- In a large working bowl dump the contents of the mango puree and whipping cream using a hand blender or whipper, blend the mixture till you get a nice creamy concoction of goodness.
- Now this should take at the maximum 7 -10 minutes.The point is for you to aerate the mixture very well. I have used the portable hand whippers as well on occasions and they have worked extremely well with no variations in the results.
- Add in the saffron and cardamom powder if so desired and whip it up again for a min or so to ensure even distribution.
- Now if you are using the cubed mango pieces, gently fold them into the mixture.
- Pour into mould, tubs variations of any desired shapes. (Do ensure the bowl is licked clean meanwhile though !)
- Let it set in the freezer for minimum of 4 hours or until it is firm.
- Indulge, enjoy and pat yourself on the back for the bout of creamy goodness is worth it.
- No Mangos, but still crave for it? Mango pulp is so worth it. A single tin of Mango pulp – any variety , 14 oz 850 gm would suffice.
- If it is sweetened Mango pulp, reduce the amount of condensed milk – instead of 14 oz tin – use only half of it.
- Cool whip – I have used the 16oz variation in this case and it was still extremely creamy. The 24 oz variant also worked very well when I had used the sweetened Mango pulp available commercially)
- Bowl licked clean – check
- Ice cream tasted heavenly – check
- Indulged self, family and neighbors – check
- 2nd batch in the making – check
Served a family of 10. Now the serving size depends on the time of the day – dessert or after the hot sun indulgence!
Guaranteed repeat request though !!