Fresh Cilantro and Mint Chutney- Green , tangy dressing anyone?
Super quick post..Been wanting to add this in the Basics for some time. Prompted to do this cause of FB request from a dear friend asking me for my version of this. Of course if you troll the inet, everyone and their cousin will have one of this , but I simply love this version.
Want a dressing that is ?
Low fast : check
Quick : check
Filled with green stuff : check
Passes taste test: check
Freezable : check
Multiple uses: check
So without much ado…
- Fresh Cilantro leaves : 1.5 cup packed ( chopped finely)
- Fresh Mint leaves : 1 cup packed ( chopped finely)
- Dhalia/Roasted Channa Dal : 1/4 cup
- Cumin seeds : 2 tsp
- Green chillies : 10-12 ( as required)
- Lime : juice of 1
- Sugar : 1 tsp
- Salt : 1/2 tsp
- Tamarind paste : 1 tsp
- Grind the roasted channa dal or dhalia with the cumin seeds . ( You can substitute any nut to this. The idea is to create a thick base. on occasions, I have used almonds, peanuts or even walnuts).
- Add in the rest of the ingredients except the lime juice and blend it well. Add water as required. You can make it quick thick and dilute on requirement. Or serve this as thick sandwich spread.
- Once blended , nice and smooth add in the lime juice, give it a whir and store it. the purpose of the lime juice is two fold – it prevents discoloration and has the zing factor !
- In the fridge, stays fresh for a week or so.
- For rainy day use, stick it in the freeze in smaller quantities, so you can defrost the required amount only.
For flavor variation, a fresh piece of mango ginger does wonders. Also you can make this completely nut free and lentil free and just stick to the greens.
Uses: sandwich base, chaat dressings, dressing on salad, dips and more