A very short post. In all honestly did not even take pictures on my Cannon. Cause today was such a day that paid homage to the ” need a vacation after the vacation” kind of thing. After a long and exhausting road trip , and I mean really exhausting, laundry and stuff needed something to munch. But since we had loaded up with enough calories for a lifetime twice over and then some, was not willing to really rack my brain or stretch my time . And then of course a pack of raw unroasted peanuts caught my fancy. We love peanuts here and except for my oldest who treats it like his mortal enemy !! Our road trip introduced us to a particularly unappealing one – too much vinegar and a crusty outer layer that had us gagging and reaching for the nearest bottle of water. Sigh ! A good masala peanut should have enough coating to give you the crunch but not overwhelm you so you have to dig for the nut !!
This is a spin off of my mom’s take on masala crunchy peanuts. No deep frying.. Just regular microwave option ! Simple and quick made in a jiffy. I would definitely advise to make in smaller batches cause unlike deep frying, microwave method requires you to ensure the wet coated peanuts are spread out on a plate and cooked in 2 minute intervals.
Preparation Time : 5-7 minutes
Cooking Time : 5-8 min
- Raw peanuts with skin: 1/2 cup
- Chickpea flour / Besan : 1/4 cup
- Hing : A generous pinch
- Red Chili powder : 1/2 tsp.
- Garam masala : 1/2 tsp.
- Amchur: A pinch
- Salt : 1/4 tsp.
- Water : 2-3 Tbsp.
- Baking soda : a tiny pinch 1/8 tsp.
- OPTIONAL : 1 tsp. of oil
- Wash the raw, unskinned peanuts very well and drain in a colander and set aside.
- In a wide mixing bowl, add the flour and 1/8 tsp. of baking soda and whisk well.
- Add the rest of the spices and mix well again.
- Add the drained peanuts and toss it well with the flour-spice mix.
- Sprinkle the reserved 2-3 Tbsp. of water as required and in stages so the peanuts get coated in spice mix very well and they sort of clump/ adhere together.
- OPTIONAL : I did not use oil at all. But if you desire to and need an extra crunch, add in 1 tsp. of oil and mix it with the nut – spice mixture.
- Spread this mix on a microwave safe plate. Spread it out in a single layer as much as possible.
- CAUTION : Microwave for 5-6 minutes in full power in 2 minute intervals please ! You will burn the peanuts of you bake it at one stretch and you will need to stir it a bit in between intervals.
Verdict: Awesome and crunchy peanuts. I made mine without any oil and it was really crunchy. Optionally you can also add Chaat masala.
Notes and Variables :
- Microwave cooking power would vary the time but you should generally anticipate it being done in this time frame .
- Quality of the peanuts and the size – smaller ones tend to crunch up faster so keep an eye out
- Stirring it in between would keep it from burning of course.
- Mine was done in about 5 minutes.
- Adding oil is definitely your choice. Mine was crunchy without any.
- Take care so the flour – spice mix coats it evenly. You do want it too lumpy or watery.