I had sorry looking bananas on the table. These were nearly on their way to the graveyard and dangerously on the edge to attract fruit flies – in November. In any case there were four of these and I swear they were brought in from the store not long enough. Usually , I do not have left over bananas. Between the kids and a perpetually hungry labrador, nothing much gets wasted . Maya , my black lab practically salivates when she sees bananas. I still cannot understand her fascination for the fruit. In any case, these 4 escaped the regular crowd at home and their rapid progression from green to yellow to near black was a lesson on natural advancement.
My first thought was my very favorite – the banana cake one. Light airy, porus. But I was faced with a near empty pantry…No eggs or self rising flour. No condensed milk. Barely few scrapings of APF. You get the picture…
But I did have white whole wheat flour. Oh how I love these. So here we go a quick and easy recipe for banana bread. It can yield 2 loaves or you can do what I did – bake it in a Bundt pan. I used the 10 cups one.
- White whole wheat flour : 2 cups
- All purpose flour ( APF, unbleached and unbromated) : 1 cup
- Ripe bananas : 4-5
- Brown sugar : 1.75 cups ( you can make it 2 if you would like )
- Unsalted butter / Canola oil : 1/2 cup
- Baking soda: 2 tsp.
- Buttermilk : 1 cup
- Pure Vanilla extract : 1 Tbsp.
- Salt : 1 tsp.
- Chocolate chips : 1/2 cup – your choice. Mini, caramel, dark , toffee, cinnamon etc.
- Walnuts : Optional : 1/4 cup, chopped roughly
- Pre heat your oven to 350F.
- Dry Flour Mix: In a separate bowl, add 2 cups of whole wheat flour and 1 cup of APF and whisk it very well. Add 2 tsp. of baking soda and 1 tsp. of salt and whisk it very well again. You want to ensure thorough distribution of the baking soda. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, using the paddle attachment mush the bananas. I should have measured it , but I suppose would yield atleast 1.5 cups of smushed bananas.
- Melt the butter or you can use canola oil , add it to the banana mix. Add in the brown sugar as well and 1 Tbsp. of vanilla extract.
- Add the butter milk next and paddle whisk it lightly.
- Now add the dry flour mix to this and mix until just combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and nuts if using and mix once. Do not over mix.
- Grease and parchment paper line a couple of 9 by 5 loaf tins and distribute the batter evenly. Or grease a Bundt pan and distribute batter in it.
- Bake for about 40 min ( +/- 3 min ) . Tooth pick inserted in should come out clean.
- If baking in a Bundt pan, let it cool in the Bundt pan for about 15 minutes , before you invert it to cool on a cooling rack.
- Slice when completely cool .
- Optional : dust with some powdered sugar before serving.
- This bread will be of a slightly denser texture owing to nearly completely portion of whole wheat flour. Using APF entirely will make it light and airy .
- You can substitute the chocolate chips to just nuts or use in combination.
- You can also add 1/3 cup of dark cocoa for chocolate bread.
- Adding cinnamon would be awesome too.
- Instead of dusting it with powdered sugar, you can opt for a sugar glaze as well.
- If you do not have butter milk, you can make your ow. To one cup of milk add a tsp. of white vinegar. Just let it stand for about a 3-4 minutes and you can use it.
- You can also use sour cream/ greek yogurt in combination with milk instead of 1 cup of butter milk.
Printable Version :[yumprint-recipe id=’26’]