A3 wanted blueberry muffins. Lemon blueberry muffins. In the last days of winter ! You get the picture. I think he was bit impatient for spring to arrive and to play soccer. But NC weather was such a tease ! Gloomy skies, bare trees, dark clouds and not a ray of sunlight. Who could blame the poor kid for wanting his own bit of sunshine?
In any case a tub of sour cream begged to be used before the expiry date and since the fresh blue berries did not cause me an arm and a leg or to play Rumplestiltskin with my first born, a tub meandered its way home from the store. A bag of fresh Meyer lemons and armed with some butter, I has to try these prize winning sour cream lemon muffins from this site with of course a couple of minor switches and few more adaptations.
They are so tender, utterly soft pillowy ones. I have adapted the recipe ever so lightly to yield the tang of lemon muffins with its citrusy flavor and these are simply irresistible. So good and so perfect and huge plus they are not overtly sweet cupcakes masquerading as muffins. Lovely domed tops as well. Go ahead , raid your pantry and make these . You will not be disappointed.
Prep time : 15 min Baking time : 22-24 min Yield : 12 muffins
Flour : Sift and Mix
- White whole wheat flour : 1/2 cup
- All purpose flour , unbleached : 1 cup
- Baking soda : 1/2 tsp.
- Baking powder : 1/2 tsp.
- Salt : 1/2 tsp.
Dairy, Sugar, Egg : To cream
- Unsalted butter at room temperature : 1/4 cup
- Granulated or organic cane sugar : 1/2 cup
- Large egg, cage free : 1
- Reduced fat Sour cream/ Greek yogurt : 1 cup
Citrus: Meyer Lemons
- Juice of 1 big lemon or about 3 Tbsp. of lemon juice
- Grated lemon zest : 1 Tbsp.
- Pure lemon extract : 1 Tbsp.
Produce : Berries
- Fresh blueberries : 1 cup, tossed in about 2 Tbsp. of flour ( If using frozen, use unthawed only please.)
Topping : Mix thoroughly
- Lemon zest , grated : 1 Tbsp.
- Granulated sugar : 2 Tbsp.
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
- Line your muffins pans or grease them if preferred. Set aside.
- Measure and sift the flour, salt, baking powder and soda in a separate mixing bowl and set aside. Alternatively you can whisk it thoroughly.
- Cream the room temperature butter and sugar until fluffy and creamy using a hand/ stand mixer. Add in the egg and mix until blended well. Next add in the sour cream or yogurt , followed by lemon juice , zest and extract and mix well.
- Stir in the flour mix into the creamed mixture just until no streaks remain. DO NOT over mix or you will have a tough muffin on your hands.
- Next gently fold in the blueberries. If using fresh berries, toss the rinsed and patted dry berries in about 2 Tbsp. of flour. Shake off the extra flour and gently fold it. If using frozen , use the unthawed frozen ones directly.
- Using an ice cream scoop or measure , distribute it into the prepared cups.
- Combine the ingredients listed under topping, and sprinkle some on the top of each muffin.
- Bake for about 22 minutes or so until just lightly browned.
- Cool in the pan for about 5 min and then cool on the wire rack.
Slice and eat warm or cold, simple straight or with a dab of jam. Breakfast or after school. You simply cannot go wrong with these melt in your mouth tender lemony blueberry muffins ! Go ahead grab one while it warm and you can polish it off very adult like with a cup of coffee as well.
Recipe source: Adapted