Dates and Nuts Sugar Free Roll- Khajur and Nuts roll… Royal Diwali Mithai with no added sugar and rich with nuts ! A sure crowd pleaser !
Without much ado, here it goes. A sure winner in Diwali Mithai list!
Prep time : 15 min Cooking time : 10 min Setting time : 1 hr Yield : 15- 20 pieces
- Chopped Dates : 2 cups
- Chopped Nuts : 3/4 cup ( mix of cashews, pistachios and walnuts)
- Poppy seeds / Khus -Khus : 2-3 Tbsp.
- Clarified Butter / Ghee : 1.5 tsp.
- Chop the dates ( I used the sticky seedless kind) to yield about 2 cups of the chopped quantity. About 20-25 dates would yield this depending on the size and quality of the dry fruit.
- Run it in the blender. This is going to be a slightly sticky mass. Do not over process it or add any liquid to this.
- In a wok or non stick kadai, toast the poppy seeds on medium heat and keep aside. An easier option would be to nuke it in the microwave for about a min.
- Also toast the nuts for a min or two. The result is 2 pronged – you get the crunch in the nuts and get rid of the raw edge of it too. Again do not over process it. Remove it and keep aside.
- Next add in the 1.5 tsp. of ghee or clarified butter and add in the blended dates. Please process this on medium heat for about 5 min or so. You will notice the darkening in the color of the dates and a heavenly fragrance too.
- Add in the nuts at the stage.
- Make sure the nuts are distributed throughout the dates base. Now depending on the freshness of your dates, you might need to add in a teaspoon more of the ghee to bind it all together if required.
- Turn off the heat and remove on to a parchment paper lined plate.
- Let it cool for just a minute and roll out into logs of your desired thickness.
- Coat it with the toasted poppy seeds and set it in the fridge for about an hour.
- Remove, slice the logs to yield thick wedges of this .
- Result is a delicious slice of dates and nuts without any added sugar!