- Hot weather in Spring : Check
- Crabby kids : Check
- Crabby mom : Check ( Nah, I am an angel!)
- Weekly produce cleaning and org: Check
- A bunch of beets : Check
It was hot sultry calm before the storm in NC. Very hot and humid weather and temperature in higher eighties.. We know what happens next here – thunderstorms and heavy rains. Predicted in the next 24 hrs. That still did not stop us from cribbing and hoping we could have a bit of the cooler breeze. But nonetheless, as part of the fridge cleaning process, I came across a bunch of beets.. And that’s what became of these..
This was such a delight to have.. Made a cool Minty Cucumber Greek Yoghurt Dip and it was absolute heaven on hot sultry night.. Kids loved it! The only indulgence was the addition of bread crumbs made easier on self cause I used the wheat kind. The shredded raw beets and crunch of sesame on the top and great blended flavors from the spices boosted this to just another level !
Prep time : 30 min Cook time : 30 min Yield : 36 cutlets
For the base:
- Fine Shredded Raw Beets : 1 and another 1/4 Cups
- Fine Shredded Raw Carrots : 3/4 cup
- Fine shredded Onion : 1/4 cup
- Boiled Potatoes : 2, peeled and mashed
- Bread Crumbs : 1/4 cup
- Roasted and powdered Oats : 1/4 cup
- Roasted and Powdered flax seeds : 1/4 cup
- Fresh Cilantro Chopped :1/4 cup
- Fresh Mint Chopped : 1/4 cup
- Fresh Jalapeno : 2 chopped fine ( optional)
- Red chili powder : 1 tsp. ( optional and adjusted to spice level)
- Garam Masala : 1.5 tsp.
- Chat Masala : 1 tsp.
- Salt : 1.5 tsp.
For the outer covering to create the crunchy crust:
- Bread Crumbs : 1/2 cup
- Sesame seeds : 1-2 Tbsp.
To cook :
- Oil as desired
- Pulse everything listed under the base in your food processor or if not in wide bowl by hand. The idea is to bring it all together to form a wet mass. This is achieved when the wet sticky potato mass combines with the fresh ingredients. You typically will not need any water at all to bring it together.
- Make 2 inches flat patties in diameter and about 3/4 of an inch thick out of these and set aside.
- Mix everything listed for the crust and set aside. If you do not wish to add bread crumbs but just the sesame seeds, it will bring out the richness and color of beets but you will still miss the crunchiness of it.
- Coat these patties well in the bread crumbs – sesame seeds mixture. Nope, I did not initially dip it in milk, corn flour paste, flour paste or any such thing. The wetness of the patty was enough to coat the bread crumbs mix..
- Note: The patty was wet but definitely not sticky.
- In a wide skillet, add a Tbsp. or so of oil and gently swivel it so it coats the entire surface of the skillet and then heat it . ( A nonstick would be pretty useful here).
- Gently place the patties on the heated oil surface and cook for about 5 – 9 minutes. Flip it once in the 4-5 minute interval and gently press down to ensure they are cooked thoroughly but not smushed.
- Do cook it in medium high heat. In very high heat just the outer layer would be cooked and you will have soft raw middle.
- Serve it with cool yoghurt dip.
Minty Cool Yoghurt dip:
- 2 cups of Greek / very thick yoghurt or sour cream
- 1 cup of very finely shredded cucumber
- 1/4 cup of very finely chopped mint
- 1 tbsp. of chaat masala
- 1/2 tsp of salt
Mix all together and serve!
Option 1 : Yes you can deep fry this. Yes it will taste absolutely delicious, but man why would you want to do it on a hot spring night and also kill the beets?
Option 2 : Baking . I did try baking it on 375 – 400 for about 15 minutes. The pan version yielded better taste though.