The weekend was a hub of activity. A1 was busy fiddling with some robotics stuff . A3 had a soccer game. And my ! What a game it was … Intense one with U8s running around the field with all the energy they could muster. My little Ninja was in the offence and kissed the field about 8 times ( some scraped tissues too for the warrior) . And then he took a ball to his face – Bang on the cheek. Ouch! Brave little one though ! After a few minutes he was back into it. Learnt to play like a champ – which means emulated sportsmanship behavior in my books.
And then of course A2. She had her gymnastics meet. My butterfly was spreading her wings. I can see “The turning of a corner” for her where she develops more self confidence and self esteem. And more important learning to compete with the right spirit. And she did well. So on the conversation back home on the take away points from the meet, we somehow ended up on breakfasts and proteins and cupcakes. I know, I know! My A2 can wheedle things out me .. This time it was a beseeching request for baked goodies. No,No , Not too much trouble , but since mommy bakes sooooo good then perhaps a cupcake ! Again not too much trouble , I hope but of course 🙂
What she was getting was a cinnamon strudel wheat banana muffin :-)..a crunchy top and oh so feathery light muffin. A2 was pleased as a punch and demolished two of these. And her siblings got to enjoy it as well. This was collateral advantage !
Banana Cinnamon Muffins with Crunch Top – Whole Wheat Version
Prep Time: 10- 15 minutes
Baking Time: 18-22 minutes
Makes: 12 muffins
For the muffin base:
- White whole wheat flour : 1 Cup
- Unbleached and un bromated APF : 1/2 Cup
- Baking soda : 1 tsp.
- Baking powder : 1 tsp.
- Cinnamon Powder : 1 Tbsp.
- Pure Vanilla Extract : 1 tsp.
- Salt : 1/2 tsp.
- Bananas: over ripe, 3,mashed very well.
- Soft brown sugar : 3/4 cup.
- Brown Egg: 1 , beaten
- Unsalted butter : 1/3 cup.
For the crunchy top crumble
- Soft brown sugar : 1/2 cup
- APF Flour : 3 Tbsp.
- Ground cinnamon : 1tsp.
- Butter : 1 Tbsp.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a muffin / cupcake pan with 12 liners
- Mix the dry ingredients – both the flours, the baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar and cinnamon powder. Whisk it very well to ensure even distribution. Set aside.
- Mash the 3 over ripe bananas very well. I typically like them without any big lumps.
- Beat the egg and vanilla extract with a fork. Add in the 1/3 cup of butter , but make sure it is melted and cooled down enough so it does not scramble the eggs.
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients together and beat until just combined. Do not over beat or over mix.
For the crunchy top crumble:
- Mix the ingredients listed under this and sprinkle on the muffins. The mixture would be slightly crumbly.
- Bake for about 18-22 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Using the cold butter for the crunchy top would give you a more crumbly appearance. It is delicious.
- Using a semi melted or room temperature butter would result in a thin crunchy top, which also would be delicious,
- You can absolutely do this entire this using self rising flour alone. Just do not add any salt or baking powder. Reduce the baking soda to 1/2 tsp. and you will get soft fluffy muffins. Works like a charm every time.
- I did this with white whole wheat flour. The regular wheat flour from hardened red/golden wheat would yield slightly denser muffins. Tasty nonetheless.
Grab one to go with at all cold/warm glass of milk and you are set !