Fresh herbs, Cheese and Jalapeno bread – Eggless, No-Knead and Super Delicious!
It’s a beautiful day in NC. The sun has given us a bit of respite and the weather seems to bring in the summer showers. The sky is filled with pregnant clouds – that’s how I visualize it. New life begins with showers 🙂 And my Hibiscus, the yellow one bloomed cheerily. The patio is filled with pots bursting with life – and my pride and joy of herbs and more. The fresh herbs beckon me to do something in the early hours of today- especially as my angels ( sometimes troublesome 3’s ) are fast asleep and I have this morning hour to myself.
Just myself and a cup of ginger chai.
Just myself, a cup of ginger chai and a humming bird.
Just myself , a cup of ginger chai, a humming bird and a curious brown breasted rabbit !
Oh the wonders !
And I walk in to the kitchen to see the remains of the pantry cleaning. Hmm I still have a few cupful’s of the self rising APF. What do I do? I bake of course 🙂
Snipping away the fresh herbs , gives me an idea. As is always the case, a bit of this and a bit of that goes into this effort and creation.. The result is beautiful!
An absolutely fragrant and moist loaf of rustic cheese and herbs bread baked to near golden perfection, filled with goodness of fresh herbs and spiced with jalapeños and pepper, flax seed laden and oh so irresistible ! Try this one, I am sure you will not be disappointed.
- Self rising flour is All purpose flour with baking powder and salt in it. So this recipe omits salt.
- I used a mix of grated Cheddar cheese, Habanero and Mexican cheese blend. Already loaded with salt, hence no extra salt was added in this recipe.
- No eggs in this recipe. But you can substitute the flax seed mix I used for 2 eggs.
- No egg wash too, Instead, I chose milk and butter wash and broiled it for 550 for 3 min.
- The baking was at 350 for 50 min. Please keep an eye on your oven . I would recommend tenting it with an aluminum foil at the 30 min interval and bake it further.
- I gave the bread the milk and butter wash and then did the tenting ,baking and broiling.
Bakes : One 9 by 5 inch loaf
- Self rising flour APF : 2.25 cups
- Baking soda : 1/2 tsp
- Shredded mix of cheddar , habenaro, pepperjack and mexican cheese blend : 1 cup
- Fresh or Preserved Japaleno slices : chopped, 1/4 cup
- Fresh herbs mix : 1 cup
- Butter milk : 1.25 cups
- 2 Tbsp flax seed + 6 Tbsp warm water : ground ( substitute for 2 eggs)
- Olive oil : 3 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes : 1 tsp
- Black pepper powder : 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds : 1/2 tsp
- 2 Tsp of milk + 1 tsp of butter for wash if desired
- Pre heat the oven to 350℉.
- Spray a loaf pan with grease and flour it as well to prevent sticking of the bread.
- Sift the APF self rising flour and baking soda together and set aside in a wide bowl.
- To this add the dry seasonings and spices you are using as well the 3/4 of the fresh chopped herbs and stir it in.
- Now add in the grated cheese and stir it in as well.
- Add in the 3 tbsp. oil and run your flingers through the dough to distribute it.
- In a coffee grinder or spice grinder , first make a meal out of the flax seeds – grind as finely as possible. Then add about 6 Tbsps. of warm water and blend it together to get a thick creamy mix.
- Add the flax seed mix and butter milk together , homogenize and then add it to the dry mix to and stir it in well.
- The dough is going to be a shaggy dough !
- Empty it in to the prepped bread pan, add in the remaining herbs mix on the top.
- Bake it for 350℉ for 45- 52 min. After the first 30 min or so, loosely tent an aluminum foil on top of your baking pan . This will help the bread to bake more evenly.
- Gently wash the top with a mix of milk and butter if desired at this stage.
- Finally broil it at 550 ℉ for 2 min or so to finish off with a nice brown color.
- Cool it out in the pan for a few min and then gently remove it from the pan to let it cool on a wire rack.
- Once cool, slice and serve with a dollop of butter or just like that!