Banana Nutella Bread – Swirled slices of heaven!
So A1 got his braces a couple of days back. And he has generally been a happy camper about it . But today was an exception 🙁 He suffered stoically through the pain of it becoming a familiar appendage in his mouth! All of 14 and he channels the ” I am a teenager ” quite often. He is usually an old soul in a young body ! Sigh! Since today was not a particularly happy day on his front (Plus A2 got the bulk of my attention – remind me to preen a bit about the painting she is embarking on, A3 decided to act up and zeroed in on A1 for the entire day – mind it, an entire day of a 6 year old on a 14 year’s back.. But A1 was super patient with him, Legos, Mine craft, wrestling, Argentina – Netherlands soccer semi final and more … and let it out on me 🙂 LOL so are the joys of life ). In any case, he had to miss out on his favorite Ciabatta rolls veg sandwich and yours truly made him a cheese pesto sandwich , which also had to be cut into bite sized pieces…..The dark mood was a bit of a downer at the dinner table. Ah ! the perils of braces ! In all fairness he did laugh about it in a few minutes. He sort of compared the progression of freckled spots on the banana to his mood through the day and the uncomfortability of the braces. Go figure ! Well mom, being mom at 8 PM got the idea of making a quick Banana Nutella sweet bread. That will be soft, sliceable and more important will take care of the speckled bananas. ( And hopefully will make A1 feel marginally better )
Ingredients: Yields 1 loaf (9 by 5 inch bread pan)
- All purpose flour – self rising : 1.5 cups
- Mashed bananas : 1 cup ( 2 ripe large bananas should yield 1 cup)
- Sugar, Cane sugar in the raw, preferred : 1/3 cup
- Flavorless oil of your choice : 1/4 cup
- 1% milk : 1/4 cup
- Large Egg : 1
- Pure Vanilla extract : 1 tsp.
- Baking Soda : 1/2 tsp.
- Nutella : 1/4 – 1/3 cup based on your preference
- Preheat the oven to 350 Deg F , and grease and flour dust a bread pan ( I used a 9 by 5 inch one).
Dry Mix :
- Whisk together the self rising all purpose flour and baking soda and keep aside
Wet Mix :
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk well or using a hand mixer whip together milk, mashed bananas, egg and oil and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in stages and mix to incorporate it thoroughly.
- Heat the Nutella for about 30 sec or so in the microwave to make it a bit thinner and spreadable. You do not want it too runny as well. The idea is to make it spreadable, that’s all.
- Add in about half the desired Nutella in the batter and gently swirl it in. Remember you leave the streaks of Nutella in. You do NOT want it to be blended in thoroughly.
- Add the batter in the bread in big plops – NO I mean literally plop it in 4 -5 ladlefuls so you can create a pattern. Add in the rest of the Nutella , gently swirl on the top.
- Bake it for about 40 – 45 min, until a wooden skewer inserted in it comes clean.
Let it cool down for a bit in the pan and then gently remove it and let it cool out on a wire rack ( hold your horses meanwhile and keep the hungry fingers at bay) Slice it and enjoy it with a hot cuppa ! Or just like that!
Verdict: This recipe is a keeper and the bread was moist, tender and perfectly sliceable! Add In walnuts to get a crunch and some nutrition in it. Will probably experiment with whole wheat flour to get it more guilt free![yumprint-recipe id=’19’]