How would you like some big – fat – wholesome – crunchy and crispy on the edge and chewy in the middle wheat – oats and toasted nut – Chocolate chip cookies? Drooling ?
Fresh cookies baked with hint of cinnamon and some milk chocolate as well . And did I day they have reduced sugar. Definitely a worthy contender to the list of wholesome options. And not to mention the kitchen smelled heavenly . Definitely christmassy in spring theme , I say !
This was to have been published a couple of weeks ago. But let’s just say my Macbook decided not to cooperate and a whole bunch of my photos just poofed up in thin air !
Lots of adventures aside, this recipe needs to be up as the cookies are long gone and kids are clamoring for more. And I would love for you all to try it as well.
Gorgeous, big fat near bakery style cookies with crunch of nuts, hint of cinnamon and sweetness of milk chocolate balanced by semi sweet chips. Crispy, yet chewy oatmeal wheat cookies – served with a glass of milk and a big smile !
Prep time : 20 min
Baking time : 10-12 min
Cookies about : 24 -36
Sift and Mix :
- White whole wheat flour : 3/4 cup
- Unbleached All purpose flour : 3/4 cup
- Baking powder : 1/2 tsp.
- Baking soda : 1/2 tsp.
- Cinnamon ground : 1 tsp.
- Salt : 1/2 tsp.
- Quick cooking oats : 1 cup
To cream : ( Ingredients at room temperature)
- Unsalted butter : 1 and 1/2 sticks or 12 Tbsp.
- Granulated sugar : 1/4 cup
- Packed dark brown sugar : 2/3 cup
- Pure Vanilla extract : 1 Tbsp.
- Almond extract : 1 tsp. ( optional)
- Large , cage free egg : 1
- 2 % milk : 2 Tbsp.
Additions for the final cookie base :
- Milk chocolate chips : 1 and 1/4 cups
- Semi sweet chips : 1/4 cups
- Toasted and chopped walnuts and almonds : 1 cup
- Pre heat oven to 375 F.
- Line your baking sheets with parchment paper. Clean up would be a breeze.
- Sift and mix all the ingredients listed under order. Add the quick cooking oats at the very final stage and then given a thorough mix.
- Cream the butter well initially. Say for about 3 minutes.Then add in the sugars and cream for another couple of minutes to yield a fluffy creamy mass.
- Add the whole egg and mix it in thoroughly and then add the vanilla and almond extracts and the couple of tablespoons of milk and mix till blended again.
- Now add in the flour-oats combination mix. Just mix until no streaks remain . Do not over mix.
- Finally fold in the chocolate chips and nuts for even distribution. Fold it in please. Again DO NOT over mix please.
- Using a cookie scoop or tablespoon scoop, scoop out portions of the cookie dough and place about 2 inches apart.
- Bake at 375 F for about 10-12 min so edges are browned crisp , but centers remain chewy. Or if you prefer you can make it crisp entirely too. I made a combination of both.
- Remove and cook on baking sheets for about 5 min. Remember they do continue to cook on the sheets, so change them out to wire racks after that to cool down.
Recipe is a minor adaptation of the original one from Nestle site.