An impending trip to the farmer’s market usually has me emptying the fridge and scurrying around creating more space in the veggie and fruit racks. And rarely am I disappointed . This visit too I was treated to gleaming rows of veggies and fruits. Peaches and more peaches. Naturally I had to pick a basket. And then of course apricots. Bright yellow and of course beckoning to be taken home.
The peaches were so luscious and sweet . Just the right balance of tart in them. The gorgeous apricots though cut a zinger right through me. So tart that you can cut your teeth with it! They sure looked and felt ripe. So my options were limited to making a tart chutney with it or make an ice cream. The chutney was of course out of question as my fridge was loaded with greens and I would making a few chutneys out of it, so therefore Ice cream it was !
Sizzling hot summer? Tons of fresh fruit ? Peaches? Apricots? Would you like some creamy dreamy no fuss and egg free Peach Apricot Ice Cream? Made in a jiffy and with just a hint of cardamom? Exotic, Mon Cher.. and not overtly sweet and such an indulgence on a hot day!
Chilling time of fruits and mixing bowl : 4-6 hrs
Actual prep time : 20 minutes Freezing time : 4-6 hours.
Serves : 10-12 people
- Heavy whipping cream : 1 pint / 16 oz
- Sweetened Non fat Condensed milk : 14 oz can
- Ripe peaches : 6-8, washed and sliced
- Apricots : 10-12 , Washed and sliced
- Cardamom powder : a generous pinch
Note : Pre Prep :
- Before whipping the cream ensure the contents as well as the mixing bowl is well chilled . This will get you to whipped creamy stage faster and also hold it.
- If using the KA stand mixer, ensure the wire whisk and the bowl is chilled well for a couple of hours.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer if using ( or a regular hand mixer can be used ) attach the wire whisk and proceed to whip the heavy cream to nearly stiff creamy peaks. Start on slow speed and bring it to higher speed for about 4-7 minutes. By now you should have very creamy and stiff peaks formed. Take care not to harden it and create the sweet cream whipped butter from it . You do not want it.
- Meanwhile slice the peaches and apricots and blend it smooth to a thick smoothie/ pulp like extract without adding any water.
- Add in the condensed milk and apricot – peach pulp .
- Change to flat beater and mix it again for about 3 minutes until they are mixed well. You will see a thick creamy mass.
- Add in cardamom powder and mix it again.
- Scrape the sides of the bowls and pour into a freezer safe bowl. Close tightly to prevent any crystallization.
- Should set in about 4-6 hrs.
- Thick , luscious creamy peach – apricot ice cream is ready to be indulged in !
- You can use whipped cream in place of the heavy whipping cream if you are pressed for time.
- Saffron is an optional exotic spice which will also lend a unique flavor
Verdict : Very creamy , smooth and light ice cream, with flecks of the fruit and cardamom.